Thursday, August 14, 2008

Road Trip Preperations: Tetris

T-Minus 15 Days

Packing sucks. That's why I haven't started yet.

The last thing I want to happen is finish packing, only to find out not everything will fit in my car the night before and spend the entire night scrambling and repacking. Before I start packing, I'm setting the following guidelines/rules for myself:

1. Since I will only be in Ohio for a year, I want to bring as little as possible - meaning only the essentials. Everything else I will either buy there or just have to live without.
a. I'm planning on only bringing back my computer + clothes
b. What i bring must be easily disposable; and/or
c. Don't mind getting rid of
2. I'll try to buy most of my things when I get there
3. I must be able to see out of my rear window

With that in mind, I did a little test fitting with my car to see what I have to work with. When the rear seats folded down, my hatchback essentially becomes a mini pickup truck.

I can fit my monitor, a large suitcase, a smaller suitcase and 7 "Iron Mountain" boxes:


I'm too lazy to lug more than 4 boxes outside. Imagine the photo above (3 boxes) combined with the one below (4 boxes) when fully packed for a total of 7 boxes.


There's still room for a duffel bag for the trip, a backpack, a small box of miscellaneous car junk, plus a garment bag laid flat on top of the stuff, with room to spare.

Here's a look at everything next to car. Well, not everything. You'll have to use your imagination and add 3 more Iron Mountain boxes:


Ta-da. Hatchbacks rock.

No comments: