Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Euro 2008: Bring on the knockout stages


I'm usually not a fan of these international tournaments, but I must admit Euro 08 has been pretty exciting so far (much better than WC06, Euro04, WC02... okay that's as far back as I go). This edition of the tournament featured some surprise teams - 3 teams I didn't pick advanced to the knockout stages - Turkey, Italy and Russia. Holland also surprised the world by giving the two World Cup '06 finalists good old fashion beatdowns with a combined score of 7-1. Ouch. Equally painful is my pre-tournament picks to advance:

Actual (Prediction)
A1: Portugal (Portugal)
A2: Turkey (Czech Republic)
B1: Croatia (Germany)
B2: Germany (Croatia)
C1: Holland (France)
C2: Italy (Holland)
D1: Spain (Spain)
D2: Russia (Sweden)

Picked 5/8 to advance, only 2/8 in the right finishing order. This is why I don't get paid to do this, folks.

Thoughts form the tournament so far:
Knockout round match-ups and picks:

Quarterfinals:

Portugal vs. Germany
Croatia vs. Turkey

Netherlands vs. Russia
Spain vs. Italy

Semi-finals:

Portugal vs. Croatia (upset special!)
Netherlands vs. Spain

Finals

Netherlands vs. Croatia

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My friend, Alex, is actually in Geneva for study abroad and went to the Portugal vs Czech game. hehehe!

Billy said...

Sweet! I'm looking forward to another World Cup in the US in my lifetime. I'd probably take a few weeks off of work and fly all over the country to catch games!