Monday, September 1, 2008

Day 2: God Pours Cold Water on Man's Plans

Blogging from: Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming

Or rain, in this case, with a little bit of lighting in the mix. Much to our dismay, it's pouring in Wyoming (I can hear the rain on the roof of our cabin as I type). Raining? In August? Seriously?

Major disaster avoided! I lost my left contact lens while taking out my contacts in a parking garage. Losing your contact in a packed car = very bad. Found it in about ten minutes after we left the garage. No spares and no glasses is kind of risky. Adding that to my to-do list as soon as I get to Columbus.

The entire state of Utah is closed on Sundays. We left Salt Lake City and their crappy octane 85 gas behind not soon enough:


Utah and Wyoming offer a much more diverse and interesting view than Nevada:




Taking a quick break to admire the view just before leaving Utah. The GTi is so leng jai:


Heather and Wendy:


I did not forget the obligatory jumping in the middle of the road in the middle of nowhere photo:


We hit a tumbleweed on the freeway today - still got some of it stuck to my roof rack. I'm keeping it as my "I survived Utah" trophy:


Briefly crossed into Idaho...


...before coming back into Wyoming for the third time today - freeways like to snake in and out of state lines here


This is Jackson, Wyoming, the last "large" town before the National Parks. It's very different from what I thought a Wyoming town would look like - they even have traffic lights!!! It's a nice looking town.



We were cold, wet and miserable... until dinner! Pork tortilla soup at the cabin restaurant was delicious.


On deck: Yellowstone National Park. Praying for clear skies tomorrow. Staying indoors in one of the most beautiful parks in the world would be a shame.

I hear a bear outside... or someone snoring really loud in the next cabin. Not to be dramatic, but my bet is on bear. Either way, I'm going to play dead and calling it a night.

Major disasters avoided: 1
Temperature overnight in Grand Teton National Park: 30s

Miles covered today: 300
Road trip mileage count: 1,092
States visited: Utah, Wyoming, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Wyoming
Miles to Columbus, OH: 1,862

No comments: